Slips and trips
Slips and trips are the most common of workplace hazards and make up over a third of all major injuries.
Preventing accidents occurring is not difficult. Most slips happen in wet or contaminated conditions and many are due to poor housekeeping. The solutions to both are often simple and cost effective.
A suitable assessment of the risks should be undertaken to identify the necessary controls. These should include:
- Prevention of contamination
- Management of spillages and cleaning regimes
- Effective matting systems
- Choice of suitable footwear
- Design of workplace and work activities
- Maintenance of plant and the work environment
- Specification of appropriate flooring
- Effective training and supervision
For more information on how to prevent slips and trips, please visit the slips and trips section on the HSE website.